The Lawyers You Need & Deserve
Chicago Boating Accident Attorneys
Representing Victims of Watercraft Injuries
In the aftermath of a boating accident, it can be difficult to determine who is responsible for damages such as boat destruction, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Unlike auto accidents, there are no skid marks or traffic control devices, and there may not be witnesses outside of the two boats involved.
At Trapp & Geller, our lawyers have extensive experience holding negligent parties and their insurance companies accountable for injuries suffered in accidents involving all types of watercrafts, including boats and personal watercrafts (PWC).
Causes of Boat Accidents
Boating accidents often involve issues such as speed, alcohol, and inexperienced drivers. The sooner you contact us after an accident, the sooner our attorneys can collect and preserve evidence of liability.
Here are just a few examples of boating accidents that may involve some form of negligence:
- A collision between two boats
- A BUI (boating under the influence) accident
- A slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident
- A boat striking a water skier or Jet Ski
- A boat striking a fixed object or submerged object
- An accident caused by a boat’s wake
- Drowning caused by lack of life vests or safety equipment
- An injury caused by a boat defect
Who Is Liable in Boat Accidents?
Because the causes of boating accidents vary so widely, there are multiple parties who may be liable for your injuries. The people who operated the watercrafts involved in an accident are often at fault, but in more complex cases, additional people (or companies) could be responsible for accident-related damages.
In your case, liability may fall on:
- Boat drivers and crews: Boating accidents are often caused by the negligence of boat operators or the people who are responsible for maintaining a watercraft, monitoring passenger safety, and other tasks.
- A boating company: If the boat that your accident occurred on was part of a larger fleet or owned by a tourism or transportation company, the owners could be liable for your injuries.
- Manufacturers: When accidents occur as a result of defective watercraft or safety equipment, the manufacturers may be required to pay you compensation.
- Property owners: A boat accident can be caused by the negligence of people who own dangerous docks, marinas, and other properties.
- Government entities or safety groups: Your injuries may have been caused or worsened by the failure of local agencies to enforce safety regulations.
No two boat accident cases are alike, and the list above is only a sample of people who may be at fault for your accident. The best way to understand liability in your unique situation is to contact us and discuss the details of your case with a legal professional.
Proving Negligence in a Boating Accident Case
In boat accident cases, witness testimony is an important tool for establishing events and liability. If available, photographs, videos, boat logs, and evidence of property damages can be helpful as well. Your claim can also be substantiated by the inclusion of medical records and financial documents related to your injuries and other damages. An expert witness, such as a doctor, can also provide significant details and insight into a case.
Contact Us Today to Schedule a Free Initial Consultation
No matter how you were injured, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and answer your questions. In some cases, more than one party may have been negligent. As long as you were less than 50% responsible for your injury, you are entitled to seek compensation.
If you or a loved one were injured in a boating accident, call (312) 368-1444 or contact us online. The consultation is free, and you are under no obligations.
Why Choose Trapp & Geller?
We Win. We Guide. We Produce.
More than 25 Years of Experience
Trapp & Geller has a passion for protecting the rights of the injured. We have the skill, experience, and knowledge to provide you with the highest legal advocacy. We will not rest until you get the compensation you deserve.
Customized Legal Strategies
Each of our attorneys is in it to win your case as much of you are and take pride in getting the best possible result. With that, your dedicated attorney is always available and will even text you regarding your goals and case.
Responsive & Informative
Our attorneys work with you one-on-one and make sure that, at every step of the process, you are fully aware of your case. We are fighting for your rights and always make sure that we are doing what is best for you.
Over $400 Million Recovered
The attorneys at Trapp & Geller have the experience and knowledge to not only win, but to win BIG. When you entrust our team with your case, you can rest assured that we will fight for the maximum amount of compensation.