Child Injury: Laundry Pods Pose Severe Hazard to Small Children
Manufacturers of products such as detergents likely consider the preferences of adults when they design packaging for their products. Unfortunately, the packaging is ultimately chosen may unintentionally be attractive to the naturally investigative natures of children. One such product recently caused severe child injury to a 2-year-old girl in another state. Illinois parents may want to take note of this dangerous product to ensure their children are not exposed to its dangers.
Reportedly, the child managed to get hold of some single-application Tide laundry pods. It was said that the pods look similar to colorful and squishy candy and are sure to catch the attention of the inquisitive minds of toddlers. The detergent apparently erupted from the pod and got into the eyes of the child. Her grandfather said the girl experienced intense pain.
The product is no longer recommended for use, especially in homes in which children younger than six are present. The American Association of Poison Control Centers says over 17,000 incidents of young children suffering injuries caused by detergent pods were reported from Jan. 2014 through June 2015. Exposure commonly causes coughing, choking, vomiting, and eye irritation, but can also cause seizures, breathing difficulty, stomach burns, and even a coma. Exposure to laundry pods has reportedly caused one confirmed death of a 7-month-old baby.
A serious child injury caused by a dangerous or defective product may entitle parents to pursue compensation for medical expenses incurred. In some cases, Illinois parents choose to utilize the services of an experienced product liability attorney to guide and support them throughout the process of filing and litigating such a claim in a civil court. By establishing a breach of warranty and/or negligence in the design, manufacture, or marketing of the product, compensation in accordance with applicable laws may be awarded by the court.
Source: newswest9.com, “Odessa Child One of the Thousands Sickened by Laundry Pod Detergent“, Julia Deng, July 25, 2015